ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND IT’S YOUR CAR, IT’S YOUR CHOICE
Don’t be steered into another accident by your insurance company or the other parties insurance company. Did you know that insurance companies have ownership in some shops? Makes you wonder who the customer really is. We do not participate in many of the direct repair programs because of the concessions or stipulations in the contracts which generally lead to a lower cost and lower quality of repair. We believe we have a responsibility to the vehicle owner who is ultimately our customer, not the insurance company.
KNOW YOUR VEHICLE… KNOW THESE FACTS!
- By law, you can have your vehicle towed to and repair at any repair facility of your choice.
- Only one estimate is required to determine the amount of damage
- Check with your insurance agent to determine if you have rental car coverage on your policy
- Make sure that the insurance company pays for all covered repairs
- Choose your repair shop carefully!!!
- Ask as many questions that you may have. Make sure YOU feel comfortable with which ever shop you choose
DON’T BE MANIPULATED BY INSURANCE COMPANIES
Common Un-truths spread by Insurance Companies
Listed below are often heard phrases from many insurance companies when you want to bring your vehicle to Pogue’s Body Shop or any shop that is not on the “Referral List or Select Program” and what our response to these are.
1. ” They are not one of our network shops and they are not on our list, so therefore we cannot guarantee the repairs.”
-We are not on everybody’s list, that is because we do not want to be. We see the vehicle owner as our primary customer, not the insurance company.As for guaranteeing our work, they do not need to, as we have our own lifetime guarantee. When have you ever seen an insurance company with a car being repaired in their office? Truth is they will send you back to whomever you selected off their list anyway.
2. ” If you use them, we can’t get an adjuster out for several days, but if you take it to our network shop we will have someone start on it right away.”
-This is just another ploy to steer you. We have heard insurance companies tell our customers how busy the are and they can’t get someone out for 3 to 5 days, when we know that this is NOT true. Most companies are required to appraise a vehicle within 72 hours of being notified of the claim.
3. “If you use that shop, you will have to pay for your rental out of pocket.”
-This is not true, but some companies will try to force you into a rental reimbursement, which means that they will either try to get you to pay with a credit card and then reimburse you , or offer to send a check for “X” amount of rental days ( which you should promptly refuse to do) Most companies have direct bill agreements with rental companies, but do not always disclose that information. Always remember that, as a claimant against a company, that you also have specific rights that a policy holder may not have.
4. “They change more than the prevailing rate and you will have to pay the difference in repair cost.”
– This once again is untrue, we charge the same hourly rate as every other body shop in tow. We cannot change our rates until otherwise directed to. When the hourly rates change, every body shop’s rate changes, not just one or two shops. We repair vehicles at the same rate that all the other shops do.
5. ” Claims take longer to settle if you decide to use them.”
– Well we do look over everything for you, including making rental car arrangements and dealing with the appraiser from the insurance company. The only thing that takes longer is they aere sometimes slow to respond and they do not pay us as quickly as their preferred providers.
6. ” If you have your vehicle towed to a “non-preferred” shop and the vehicle is a total loss, then you will be responsible for paying for any storage and/or tow bill that may be owed.”
– If you have full coverage, including towing, on your vehicle, the insurance company has to pay the bill. They may try to get out of paying it, but they cannot do that.
These are just few of the word tracks used to manipulate the customer into using a specific repair facility. Be very careful! It’s your car and your investment! You have the right to make the choice on who repairs your vehicle.
We would be happy to assist you in the claims process. We work with about every insurance company out there, but please keep in sight that we do not lose sight of who the customer is. We realize the investment in your vehicle, and we want to make sure the value of your investment is not diminished through poor quality visible repairs. Most companies figure that after an accident that you will not keep your vehicle very long, so they are not too worried about using sub-standard parts. In other words, salvage, reconditioned, or aftermarket. The bad thing about that is that while the insurance company maybe saving twenty or fifty dollars on a part, you the unsuspecting customer could be losing hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a part when it comes time for yo to trade your vehicle.
*** ASK US FOR INSURANCE COMPANY RECOMMENDATIONS***
We always prefer companies that have local agents that you can meet with in person. Beware of internet based insurance policies because you get what you pay for! You will not realize the value of a good insurance company until you have had a claim.